We did some investigating and scoped out the latest and greatest kitchen trends for the upcoming year. Overall, we found that people want modern sleek kitchens full of neutral warm colors and lots of light. If you are designing a new kitchen or looking to upgrade your existing one this year, here are some of the top biggest trends to check out.
1) An Overall Modern and/or Transitional Style: An open space with lots of natural light is still high on demand. Overall, people want a kitchen that is organized, modern, and conducive to entertaining friends and family. The new “it” style is “transitional” which is a cross between traditional and contemporary design ascetics.
2) Tucked-Away and Hidden Appliances: Stainless steel appliances will remain popular in 2013 but we will also see more appliances integrated right into the kitchen cabinetry creating a seamless and blended look. Additionally, some appliances, like undercounter wine cabinets and beverage centers, are being conveniently placed in the island kitchen for optimal accessibility.
3) Glass Backsplashes: Glass mosaic tiles will continue to be popular. Additionally we will see more and more backsplashes made of a single seamless sheet of glass allowing for beautiful light reflection and making the backsplash easy to clean.
4) Functional LED Lighting: Every great space has great lighting and the kitchen is no exception. The use of LED lighting is on the rise (think under cabinet lighting) as it is starting to be layered with a mixture ambient and task lighting to achieve an overall warm, functional, and well-lit space.
5) Decorative Hoods: In more and more kitchens, the hood is becoming more of a focal point (instead of just a necessity). According to Homethangs.com, “these hoods may have built-in LED lights and are even serving almost like a decorative chandelier for a kitchen island.”
6) Neutral Color Schemes: The use of neutral colors in the kitchen is on the rise, particularly in shades of grays and greens and a variety of wood tones. Also, think clean, warm, off- white kitchens with natural wood stains that supply a neutral background for pops of color used in a decorative layer.
7) Stylish Sinks: According to Examiner.com, if you can only make one kitchen upgrade in 2013, you should upgrade your sink. “2013 will see a continued trend towards stone, copper and fireclay farmhouse sinks. Companies like Kohler are introducing farmhouse sinks in styles to compliment even the most modern style kitchen like brushed nickel and stainless steel.” reports Examiner.com.
8) Quartz and Concrete Countertops: While granite still remains a popular countertop material choice, other stylish and durable material choices are gaining momentum. Quartz and concrete are two durable and stylish options.
Tell us what you think of these trends. Do you think they have a lot of longevity Is this what you want in a stylish kitchen? Let us know!